"The quality of this video isn't the greatest, but film footage of P-38 F-5 reconnaissance planes is very rare I have done what I can to restore it." Zeno
Photo recon pilots (Photo Joes) had one of the riskiest, highest impact jobs in the war. Flying camera equipped, unarmed, and often unescorted aircraft -- in this case the Lockheed F-5, a "stripped down" P-38 -- pilots flew deep into enemy territory. "Reconnaissance Pilot" follows Packy Cummings. from basic training to the skies over New Guinea. He's not particularly happy to be flying reconnaissance -- his Dad was a renowned World War I ace recently killed by the Japanese and he wants revenge. The story of the film is how Packy comes to realize the absolutely essential nature of photo recon and how one Photo Joe can have more deadly impact than a whole squadron of combat '38s. Along the way, you'll learn about photo recon and see some nice F-5 footage, The climax of the film, an action packed clash with a Japanese Zero, is based on a real incident where Alex Gary, the most decorated US recon pilot of the War, deep sixed his opponent without firing a shot. Starring William Holden ("Bridge on the River Kwai") as Lt. "Packy" Cummings.
* Flight Characteristics of the P-38 Color How to fly the P-38 Lightning
* The Back Door Gang: 430th FS Color Scrapbook (1945, COLOR 15:00) Exclusive Production
Drive-In Exclusive Newly discovered film of the 430th FS, 474th FG, 9th Air Force. You'll see some intense (and rare) color gun camera film showing strafing attacks inside Germany It's amazing how color film brings 60+ year old images to life.
* P-38 Reconnaissance Pilot Starring William Holden ("Bridge on the River Kwai") as Lt. "Packy" Cummings. Foto recon pilots Photo Joes) had one of the riskiest, highest impact jobs in the war. Flying camera equipped, unarmed, and often unescorted aircraft -- in this case the Lockheed F-5, a "stripped down" P-38 -- pilots flew deep into enemy territory.
* Angel in Overalls This film was developed to show US P-38 production line workers the Lightning at work in a wide variety of combat roles. This action packed video is a must see for all P-38 fans
* Yamamoto shot down! See the P-38 Squadron that shot down Admiral Yamamoto in an incredible long distance interception in the Pacific. Includes gun camera footage of the Admiral's Betty going down in flames.
* Dick Bong Pacific Ace (1944, B&W, 4:00) This short film pays tribute to Richard "Dick" Bong, the leading American ace of World War II. Flying P-38s, he had 40 victories in the South Pacific and was renowned for being a remarkably accurate shot.
* Plus a complete 72 page P-38 pilot's manualincluding systems charts, diagrams, performance info, pilot's instructions & more!x